Alcoholics Anonymous is full of program paradoxes. First things first though, what the eff is a paradox?
Merriam-Webster defines a paradox as follows:
“a statement that is seemingly contradictory or opposed to common sense and yet is perhaps true.”
This is the meaning of paradox I have come to know. There are MANY in the program that I have come to believe through my experience are true:
- I have to give it away to keep it
- I have to surrender to win
- I have to admit powerlessness to regain control
- My darkest past becomes my greatest gift – Said in other words, the worst thing that happened to me is the best thing that ever happened to me — ROCK BOTTOM ANYONE?
- Some of us have to die for the rest of us to live — A some what controversial belief…
- I find strength from my weaknesses
- The half of the 11th step prayer… kind of
- I must forgive to be forgiven
- I find myself by self forgetting
- I must love to be loved
I’m sure there are more out there! Do you know any that I missed?